Tiny Cut Out and Stitch Dolls. Every now and then around the holidays I get the urge to work on a fast, fun project! When my most recent urge hit, my mind immediately leapt to the great printed cloth dolls that were popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I’ve always been very fond of all of the printed cut and sew dolls from that era. Here are my versions! They are a combination of printed cloth dolls and photos of some of the antique dolls in my collection.
Most of my printed dolls are 8-1/2 inches tall. The exceptions are noted below. Each doll panel that you buy includes two mirrored doll images, so that you can sew them together back to back, or use them separately with a plain fabric backing, or for applique work. The dolls are printed on high quality 100% cotton fabric and are completely washable. There is extra fabric surrounding each doll that will allow for a ¼ inch seam allowance. The dolls may be sewn with right sides together, turned and stuffed, machine stitched from the front side, trimmed and stuffed, or appliqued onto other projects. They may also be cut out and used for journaling and other multi-media projects. Add bits of fabric, lace, crepe paper and Dresden trims to create doll clothing.
Some project ideas include:
- Sew back to back for Christmas ornaments, so the “front” side is always on view.
- String together into a banner to hang across mirrors, windows or mantles.
- Hang individually from cupboard doors or chandeliers.
- Make into a mobile.
- Stuff with lavender and use as drawer and closet sachets for your finest linens and clothing.
- Fill with cedar shavings and place among your doll and bear collection to repel moths.
- Special party favors for your doll club meetings and events.
- Make into a special doll’s doll for your favorite plaything.
- Baby toys.
- Add a squeaker inside to make a fun dog toy or fill with catnip for your kitten to play with.
- Applique’ onto quilt blocks, pincushions, curtains, aprons, pockets, baby bibs and clothing, tote bags, t-shirts and more.
Priced individually or discounted if ordered in groups.