To the best of my knowledge, this is the only comprehensive tutorial on how to make an authentic Izannah Walker reproduction doll and her clothing. I based this class on Izannah Walker’s original patent and two pre-1873 dolls I own that were made by Izannah Walker.
This is a Master Level class that teaches you to make an exact reproduction of one of Izannah Walker’s iconic early pre-patent 18-½ inch dolls. Prior sewing, sculpting and painting experience is a pre-requisite.
What is included in the class:
- 75 page Booklet full of step-by-step instructions with 166 detailed photographs
- Patterns for doll body and one complete set of clothing (dress, two petticoats, chemise, drawers)
- Body Construction Guide with 16 measurements
- Detailed instructions for sculpting head featuring Sculpting Guide with 54 separate measurements taken from my antique Izannah Walker dolls
- Mold-making instructions
- Paint swatches and formulas to match colors from original Izannah Walker dolls
- Painting instructions
- Fabric swatches
- Wool stuffing
- Source list for all required materials
- Optional instructions for those wanting to take a short-cut approach
- Lifetime question and answer support at no additional charge
- Additional bonus doll making information and student interaction on my class member-only Ning site
Why this class is ideal for serious doll-makers:
- With the detailed instruction booklet, you don’t have to be connected to the internet or be limited to working in front of your television screen.
- The open instruction book will lay flat on your work table
- You can make notes right in your booklet as a permanent record
- The instructions are infinitely reusable
Why should you buy from Paula Walton of A Sweet Remembrance?
- Dollmaker for 24 years
- Author of numerous magazine articles on dolls and doll-making
- Free-lance designer for national craft publications
- Restoration artist of antique dolls, bears and textiles
Izannah Walker doll owner
- Patterns are drafted and sculpting measurements directly taken from two original dolls plus extra original Izannah Walker clothing
- Teaches at nationally-known arts and crafts schools including stints as artisan-in-residence
- Consistently highly-rated by students for knowledge, enthusiasm and encouragement
- Sold hundreds of patterns and Spun Cotton Ornament class kits via mail and supported these satisfied customers for many years
- Nationally-recognized historical artisan
- Early American Life top traditional craftsman 21 times in nine years, including clothing and accessories, textiles and needlework, toys and dolls categories
- Museum director and curator
Availability and pricing
To take this class in person, it would be a five-day session, with a cost of $700 for tuition and all materials, not to mention your travel expenses.
The price of this class is $250. As with all my products, the Izannah Walker Doll Class by Mail includes free shipping in the US.
All sales are final. Returns are not accepted. The doll pattern is not for sale separately, nor would it be possible to reproduce the doll without the rest of the class.
For professional doll artists
Dollmakers who sell their works may sell a limited number of dolls made from the patterns included in this class as long as the dolls and advertising materials clearly credit Paula Walton/A Sweet Remembrance for the patterns and techniques used to make them.
Approximate Shipping Time: